The Bible talks about sobriety, intoxication and intentional harm to the body. Lives are filled with various forms of temptations. In 1 Corinthians, we are warned temptations can or will overpower us, but we’re given resources to overcome temptations.
Its our forgiving Gods Words and Power of God that will win over our sin. Where people can find encouragement and strength to overcome these cravings. Drugs change the brain in ways that make quitting hard, even for those who want to.
- No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. (1 CORINTHIANS 10:13)
Substance abuse can be one of the temptations that this verse can refer to. Drug and alcohol abuse is relatively common on this day. Its difficult for many to bear but God provides a way out.
What Is drug-alcohol addiction?
Addiction is a sin characterized by drug seeking and use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences.
The initial decision to take drugs is voluntary for most people, but repeated drug use can lead to brain changes that challenge a sin addicted persons self-control and interfere with their ability to resist intense urges to take drugs.
- These brain changes can be persistent, which is why drug which is sin addiction is considered a “relapsing” disease but is sin in God’s eyes.
But He has the only real solution to being free people in recovery from drug use are at increased risk for returning to drug use even after years of not taking the drug. Because of temptations and people that they would be around from there past usage or other reasons.
This brain destruction often leads to the person becoming less and less able to derive pleasure from other things they once enjoyed, like food, social activities or other areas.
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. EPHESIANS 5:18
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Titus 2:3
- Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. PROVERBS 20:1
These scriptures say that God hates sin and want us to not be led astray by these mind-altering substances.
Long-term use also causes changes in other brain chemical systems and circuits as well, affecting functions that include:
Despite being aware of these harmful outcomes, many people who use drugs continue to take them, which is the nature of sin > addiction.
- People who attend church services are not as likely to drink or ill-use. People who don’t go to religious services can be five times likely to try hard drugs and seven times likely to drink.
- Attending church services helps to act as a protective factor for chemical dependency, in one study, it promotes values to lead a free life and encouraging abstinence.
Learn What Bible Says About Drunkards and Drunkenness:
Alcohol is one area of most abused drugs in the time period of the Bible as it was written and during those times and today as well. A lot of Bible verses refer to drunkenness and drinkers.
ROMANS 13:13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
1 CORINTHIANS 6:9-11 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards
nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
GALATIANS 5:19-21 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
These scriptures say in interpretation that being addicted to a substance of alcohol is sin, but the sin is forgiven if you repent through Christ from alcoholism and other sins.
The verses also say being drunk is sin and you will not inherit the kingdom of God if you participate in those sins, and we should stop sinning (i.e., stop drinking or drugs), God can and will forgive you with proper repentance.
What Bible Says With Inebriation, Intoxication:
People say the Bibles condemnation abuse of alcohol is against all forms of abuse of these things. If the term drunkenness is interpreted as a general state of intoxication to any drug, then the Bible clearly admonishes drug use.
The Bible is not straightforward about drug abuse, but scriptures apply but is very clear about drinking.
- So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 1 THESSALONIANS 5:6-8
- Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 1 PETER 1:13
- Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 PETER 5:8
The scripture wants us sober and not to be intoxicated because of sin. Research documents are that alcohol and drugs contribute to your not being self-controlled and increase rates of unsafe behaviors and violence. Many are sins and the scripture says to avoid what tempts us to disobey.
- If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. MATTHEW 18:8-9
- The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty. PROVERBS 22:3
The bible verses are a warning to us against bad choices that will be sin. Addiction is sin and not a disease, which means it is a choice for people who are abusing, but it is hard to resist it.
These Bible verses provide inspiration to overcoming the power of addiction with faith in Jesus and the Spirit of the Lord it can be overcome. To no how to receive faith in Jesus Christ and receive the Spirit of the Lord – Link